I set my alarm this morning and went for a walk for the first time in 2 weeks. I feel fabulous! Why did I ever stop?
I was talking with a friend last night about needing to get back to it and that was the push I needed to start. On my way around the park I took a couple of photos – you know, photographic proof 😉 and as I walked it occurred to me that I really still don’t have many photos of me. I still sensor and delete far too much!
Let’s be honest. Who am I kidding? It’s not like the people I meet can’t see what I look like – I know what I look like – and I am not saying that in a negative or a positive way. I am who I am, but for so many years somewhere deep in the recesses of my brain I thought that if there were no photos then no one would know how big I was. Seriously!!
So I looked at the photos – thought ‘yuk – but it will improve’ and I am posting them anyway. New promise to myself – I will take more photos of me and not delete all the ones I think are horrible. It’s true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to that end I have decided I need/want/will get back to that place where I felt beautiful.
I had a little picture of me up next to my bathroom mirror with the words ‘I am beautiful’ and every time I looked at it I would say those words out loud. At first I was like –‘yeah right!’ but gradually I started to smile and think – maybe – and before long I believed it. It’s amazing what a little self-belief will do – I walked taller, I felt fabulous, I did things I would never have considered before and life was good. Then something happened, I am not even sure what, but I slipped back into old habits and the negative self-talk started.
Well no – more! I
will have put the picture back by my mirror – only bigger this time and I have a mantra printed and sitting in front of my desk that I will read often …
I am beautiful!
I am smart!
I love myself!
I am creative!
I am talented!
I can do anything!
I deserve respect!
I take care of me!
I stand up for myself!
I am worthy of affection!
I love to take care of myself!
I am not defined by my weight!
I am allowed to voice an opinion!
No one has the right to put me down – not even me!
I love the person I am right now!
Sometimes I have to admit I feel a bit vain saying this, especially out loud, but I am a firm believer that the body achieves what the mind believes and so I will say all those things – and often!
Continuing the same theme … last blog I wrote about my goals for the next 12 weeks and showed them to some friends. My awesome friend Kyleanne re-wrote them and it made me look at the whole thing in a different way. I had written them, without realising, as chores. Now I look at it in an entirely different way. Here is the new version 😀
1. I will be in bed by 9:30am so I will feel fabulous when I wake up and look forward to my walk
2. I brush my teeth at 8pm as I no longer need to eat as I have eaten so many tasty nutritious foods!
3. Eating between snacks/meals – My greater mind will assist me when deciding if eating a ‘temptation’ is taking me closer or further away from my goals – ‘I CAN eat it…BUT I DON’T WANT IT’, ‘ If I’m going to eat it…I will SHUT UP and enjoy it’…. ‘If I’m not going to eat it…I will SHUT up…either way I WILL Shut up!’ :-p
4. I enjoy eating mountain bread as it is not like other breads that act like a sponge – I have the free will to CHOOSE to eat bread….I CAN have it but I don’t WANT it….I love the feeling of feeling satisfied and NOT bloated!
5. I enjoy my walks as soon as I get home from work as it ‘me’ time
6. I don’t even need the alarm anymore I find myself waking up just before it goes off so I can enjoy my early morning walk with Lachlan
7. I am so productive at work that I allow myself 5mins of walking time each hour – the rush of endorphins is exhilarating
8. I meditate several times a day – just one minute is all it takes to relax and take my mind of the many things that are racing around!
9. Each day I write for an hour – it is my favourite time of the day! It is a magical hour in which I can truly express my creative side and allow my thoughts, dreams and hopes to dance around on the paper
10. When I look in the mirror I say the words out loud ‘ I accept myself unconditionally RIGHT NOW’ and TRULY believe it……I can’t stop looking in the mirror and seeing the VIBRANT, confident HOT Momma That I am…J
11. I am SHIRELY and my AWESOMENESS is so strong that others can feel the force…even if I cannot…..I see myself the way the others AWESOME exercise friends do…..I BELIEVE not only in myself…but in my dreams – I believe that MY dreams are REAL
Nuff said 😉
Gill Myers said:
I feel the force, sista! 😀 hehe
Love it – I’m definitely going to steal your (and Kyleanne’s) ideas with re-writing the ‘chores’ – fab idea, and fits in so easily with LOA!
Won’t wish you luck on the next part of your journey, you don’t need luck. 🙂
Just your awesomeness
Anne Hill said:
Well there you go again Shirley…..how many times have I said all those miles away but still able to share in your positive moves.
Its not that I want you to be anymore than you but a happier self belief in you and yours future, you really cant wish for more.
My little attempt to improve my health and well being had a surprise when I looked down at the scales (its a secret but got rid of my 1st stone of get out of my body for good) well thats my plan.
take care and look forward to the next installment onwards and upwards x
Shirley so proud of you. Now you are starting to see the beauty that lied beneath and that what we always knew. You are beautiful and awesome. That mantra is not self indulgent or vain but fact. Don’t let the weight or other people’s narrow minded views nor the scales define the person you are.
Anytime you need or just want a walking pal you know I am here.